Monday, January 7, 2013

The Power of the Reader

What is it about being read that is such a powerful force?

When I was younger, I was an occasional diary keeper.  From the time I was in middle school, I wrote my diary as though someone might read it.  It was an odd self-censorship that, even now, I don't entirely understand.  I'm not sure who I expected to see it or what I wanted to come of it, but the idea was ever present. 

In retrospect, I think I wanted someone to care enough to read it. It is also likely that I harbored a secret desire to have my grievances aired to... to...

As I developed as a writer, I often struggled with the idea of writing for writing's sake, or writing as a matter of exercise.  If I didn't see something fitting into something I would put out to the world, I found it hard to put pen to paper, fingers to keyboard.  It was quite stifling at times.

And now I find myself starting a new blog as part of a new commitment to writing.  Again, the idea of having someone read is the elephant in the room of my psyche.  Is it validation I seek?  Is it a vague sense of self-importance?  Maybe it's a desire for connection.  I feel so very much at home in the written word, it's as though it is there that I seek out company.

I don't think this feeling is going anywhere.  I'm going to attempt to be empowered by it, motivated by it.  I'm promising myself fifteen minutes a day, after all. 

1 comment:

  1. My Southern Fried Femme, I can relate. I have a dirty secret. My childhood (and adult) private musings are read, by myself. For so many years I have read and reread my own writing. The distance of time has taught me so much. Visiting former versions of myself through my writing seems to have become a natural process of self reflection for me. I share this to encourage you to question if in fact you may be the most important reader.

    ReplyDelete